Potatoes aren’t a backbone starch in the South, but they’re one vegetable, notes Miss Lewis, that is good in all seasons.
- 2 pounds boiling potatoes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
- Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle.
- Peel potatoes and thinly slice (about 1/16 inch thick), then toss with butter, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Spread evenly in a 2-quart shallow baking dish and add broth. Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is well-browned and most of stock is absorbed, 30 to 35 minutes more.