The secret to garlic bread that’s neither too greasy nor too dry is having the correct proportion of butter to bread, so we give specific dimensions for the Italian loaf. If yours is a different size, you’ll need to adjust the amount of garlic butter accordingly.
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (15- by 3 1/2-inch) loaf Italian bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt using a heavy knife. Stir together butter, oil, and garlic paste in a bowl until smooth, then stir in parsley.
- Without cutting completely through bottom, cut bread diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices with a serrated knife, then spread garlic butter between slices.
- Wrap loaf in foil and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Open foil and bake 5 minutes more.