The secret to irresistible garlic bread is using a mixture of butter and oil and topping it with Parmigiano.
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, well softened
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (15″) loaf Italian bread (about 3 1/2″ wide)
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt using a heavy knife.
- Stir together butter, oil, and garlic paste in a bowl until combined well; stir in parsley.
- Halve loaf horizontally and divide butter mixture between halves, spreading it evenly.
- Divide cheese between halves and spread it in an even layer.
- Put halves, cheese side up, on a large baking sheet. Cover the bread with a large piece of foil, tenting it slightly on the top and tucking it under the bread.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and turn oven to broil. Broil bread until golden, 1-3 minutes.