Dried cherries add a tart and festive flavor.
- 1 loaf of stale French bread
- 1 quart milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Heavy cream, for serving
- 1. Cut bread in 1-inch cubes and place in a bowl. Pour milk over it; let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13x2-inch ovento- table baking dish.
- 3. In another bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Stir this into the bread mixture. Add the dried cherries.
- 4. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature, cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate overnight.
- 5. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before reheating. Reheat, covered with foil, at 325°F for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Pass a pitcher of cream to moisten.