Active time: 40 min Start to finish: 5 1/4 hr
- Ingredients for basic butter cookies
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 1/2 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), melted and cooled
- Garnish: salted roasted pistachios, finely ground; Demerara sugar
- Follow recipe for basic butter cookies, mixing in cocoa, baking soda, and melted chocolate after adding flour (dough will be stiff). Form dough into a 14-inch log (2 inches in diameter) on a sheet of plastic wrap and roll up dough. (Dough will be hard to slice and may crumble.)
- If garnishing, roll edges of each slice first in pistachios and then in Demerara sugar.