- 2¾ cups bread flour
- 2¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2¾ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. pinhead oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk bread flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Using your fingers, work butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Gradually add buttermilk, stirring with a wooden spoon until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Dust hands with flour and knead with the heels of your hands until dough is semi-smooth, about 1 minute. Divide dough in half. Shape each piece of dough into a 6″ round. Cut each dough round into 3 equal triangles and arrange on a large ungreased baking sheet 3–4″ apart.
- Beat egg and 1 tsp. water together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush tops of triangles with egg wash and sprinkle each with a little oatmeal.
- Bake loaves until deep golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool on a wire rack at least 15 minutes before serving.