All the great flavors of a BLT in a crisp, hearty salad.
- 2 rolls or 2 fist-sized hunks of crusty bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 slices bacon, thick-sliced if possible
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for toasting bread
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 large or 2 small heads of romaine, ragged outer leaves discarded if necessary, roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium avocado, cubed
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat broiler, grill, or toaster oven. Cut hunks of bread in half, or so there is some large non-crust surface on each piece. Brush or drizzle with olive oil and broil/grill/toast until golden brown and toasty, flipping once so both sides toast.
- Cut the clove of garlic in half and rub cut side over the part of the toasted bread that you drizzled with olive oil. (Now you have garlic bread!)
- Roughly tear or chop bread into bite-size pieces, and put in a large mixing or salad bowl. Set aside.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet until just slightly crispy – you want the bacon to stay somewhat chewy/soft. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. When cool enough, roughly chop into ½” pieces.
- While bacon is cooking, make the vinaigrette: Soak the minced shallot in the red wine vinegar for at least five minutes, then whisk together with the olive oil and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add romaine and tomatoes to the bowl with the bread, and toss with the vinaigrette. Set aside at least 5 minutes so the bread can soak in the vinaigrette.
- Poach your eggs, as desired. I like to use a saucepan of water plus a dash of vinegar, at a light boil. Dump the eggs into the water and cook until whites are firm, about 2½ to 3 minutes.
- While eggs are poaching, add chopped bacon and avocado to the salad and lightly toss (you don't want the avocado to get mashed).
- When ready to serve, plate the salad and place a poached egg on top of each salad. Season with freshly ground black pepper and flaky finishing salt, if desired.