- 4 large apples, Granny Smith or any tart apple, cored and cut into medium dice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 6 plain matzohs
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup dried apricots, medium, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into small pieces, for casserole topping
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2. Toss the apples with the brown sugar and orange juice, set aside in a medium bowl.
- 3. Break the matzoh into 2- to 3-inch pieces and soak in 1 cup of warm water until soft but not mushy. Set aside.
- 4. While the matzoh soaks, beat the eggs with a wire whisk in a large bowl until blended. Add the salt, sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, raisins, and apricots.
- 5. Squeeze the liquid from the softened matzoh and add the matzoh to the egg mixture with the apples. Stir the kugel well and pour into a lightly greased 2 1/2-quart casserole dish or a 10×14-inch pan. Dot the top of the kugel with the 4 tablespoons of butter.
- 6. Bake the kugel for 1 hour. Cover the top with foil if the top begins to become too brown early in the baking. Remove the kugel from the oven and cool to room temperature.