Polvoron – Crumbly Butter Cookies. Sift the flour onto one of the cookie sheets and roast until it becomes slightly brown. Polvoron, another name for these shortbread cookies, are not the only Spanish shortbread in town. Biscochitos are another traditional lard or butter-based cookie.
Like polvo, "powder" or "dust" in Spanish, these cookies will crumble to a dust-like consistency in your hand or mouth, but the name also derives from the fact that some choose to dust them with generous amounts of powdered sugar, making them dusty on the outside. Let the butter come to room temperature. Whip the butter and sugar together until they are well incorporated and have a "creamed" texture (see photos below). You can have Polvoron – Crumbly Butter Cookies using 3 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Polvoron – Crumbly Butter Cookies
- You need 60 g of Salted Butter.
- It’s 50 g of Icing Sugar.
- You need 100 g of Flour.
You can use a mixer or a good 'ol fork and some elbow grease. Then stir in the vanilla extract. Move the cookie dough to a greased baking tray/cookie sheet (you might want to use a spatula, as the crumbly dough might break apart in your hands). Beat the butter, shortening, and sugar with a mixer until light and creamy.
Polvoron – Crumbly Butter Cookies instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper..
- Sift the flour onto one of the cookie sheets and roast until it becomes slightly brown. Let cool completely..
- Cream the butter and icing sugar..
- Add the roasted flour to the butter mixture and use a rubber spatula to mix well..
- Place the mixture on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough to about 5mm thickness. Cut out the cookie shapes with a round cookie cutter and place on a clean table..
- Sprinkle the icing sugar (quantities for exterior) on the cookies..
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are slightly brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack..
- More Details at http://www.chez-k.org/english/cookies/polvoron-crumbly-butter-cookies/.
Add the salt and vanilla and almonds extracts. Add the flour slowly and mix until combined. Using a polvoron mold, cut out polvoron and carefully place on a plate. Wrap individually in cellophane to give away as presents or store in an airtight container. Tips on How to Make Polvoron.