My Fried Chicken Livers. Chicken livers are coated with garlic-flavored flour, and deep fried to a golden, crispy brown for an old-time Southern treat. Mix flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and cumin in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken liver in flour until totally covered.
Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday, have a great weekend and come back soon! One of my sons loves fried chicken livers and I found this recipe in a cookbook called Whistle Stop Cafe. Fried Chicken Liver is made by dredging each piece of liver in flour, then frying it in a pan with some oil. You can have My Fried Chicken Livers using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of My Fried Chicken Livers
- Prepare of container of chicken livers.
- Prepare of egg.
- It’s of Frank's Red Hot Sauce (optional).
- You need of Dijon mustard.
- You need of flour.
- It’s of cornmeal.
- It’s of black pepper.
- You need of oregano.
- It’s of garlic powder.
- You need of kosher salt.
- Prepare of Grapeseed oil or other for frying.
- Prepare of Lemon wedges.
- You need of Old Bay seasoning.
The onions are sauteed separately and are used to top the liver. Fried chicken livers are super healthy and tasty, so don't be a scaredy cat. The key to cooking the best chicken liver recipe is to clean and trim the livers well, removing all the veiny parts, then season the chicken livers with gusto, and don't overcook them! If they are large, cut them into bite-sized pieces.
My Fried Chicken Livers instructions
- Rinse livers in cold water and pat dry with paper towels before trimming them of visible sinew, fat, and areas of green discoloration but otherwise try keep the pieces as big as possible..
- Beat the egg with a fork until uniform then add hot sauce and mustard. Gently drop the livers in the egg wash and toss to coat. Let them marinate for up to 10 minutes while you prepare the breading..
- Mix flour, cornmeal, and the remaining spices in a shallow pan or plate so you can spread the mixture out. Lay the livers on the seasoned flour and let them sit on one side for at least 2 minutes so the coating bonds well to the egg. Gently turn them over and repeat on the other side..
- Heat half an inch of oil in a cast-iron or carbon steel pan. Fry the livers until dark golden brown before flipping, which takes about 2 or 3 minutes depending on the size of the piece. If the liver releases a lot of juice while frying on the first side, sprinkle a pinch of the dredging flour on the top to absorb the moisture and prevent splattering. Flip the livers and continue to cook until they are uniformly brown, another minute to 2 minutes..
- Drain on paper towels and dust generously with Old Bay (optional). Serve with raw red onions, lemon wedges, ranch dressing or cocktail sauce and or hot sauce..
Combine the flour, salt, and black pepper in a zip-top plastic bag and shake to combine. Add the livers to the bag, seal the top, and toss to combine. Make sure the livers are coated completely with the flour mixture but shake off any excess. We love Kentucky fried chicken livers. We like them with gravy or honey mustard sauce.