Brad's chicken katsu. Chicken katsu (Japanese chicken schnitzel or chicken cutlet) is usually served with the sweet and savory tonkatsu sauce, finely shredded cabbage and cucumbers. You can eat it either with steamed. Great recipe for Brad's traditional pork tamales.
I prepared the pork and sauce the night before. I prepared the pork in a crock pot. When I had a garden, I would grow these and can them. You can cook Brad's chicken katsu using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Brad's chicken katsu
- It’s of For the tonkatsu sauce.
- You need 1/2 cup of ketchup.
- You need 2 tbs of low sodium soy sauce.
- You need 1 tbs of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbs of mirin.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of worchestershire sauce.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground ginger.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground mustard.
- It’s 1 clove of minced garlic.
- Prepare of For the chicken.
- It’s 2 lbs of chicken breast, sliced into 1/2 " strips.
- You need of Prepared tempura batter.
This would eliminate the first step and make them a quick and easy side dish. This recipe is for fresh greens. The flavor is a little richer when preparing this way. I use bacon ends and pieces for this.
Brad's chicken katsu instructions
- Slice chicken and put on a plate. Sprinkle with kosher salt and set aside..
- Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce. Mix well and refrigerate until use..
- Mix tempura batter. If you choose to use a boxed tempura follow recipe on box. Or make your own by mixing 1 cup rice flour w/ 2/3 cup ice water..
- Heat deep fryer to 360 degrees..
- Dip chicken in batter to coat well. Let excess drip off. Hold end of strip in hot oil for a few seconds then slowly lower into oil. This should keep the batter from sticking to the frying basket. Fry about 8 strips at a time. Fry for about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels..
- Serve chicken with the sauce on the side. Enjoy..
Our take on the Japanese favorite. House-made Japanese pickles, Katsu Sauce, Karashi Mayo and cabbage. Hatched in Baltimore, BRD serves creative fried chicken sandwiches and wings made with the finest ingredients possible. We strive to provide old school hospitality and chicken you won't forget. I've been leaning towards quicker weeknight meals.