Short rib shepherd's pie. Just fill the baking dish or gratin dishes with the ribs a day ahead, then top them with freshly made mashed potatoes just before baking. A simple green salad is all you need to serve alongside this flavorful and filling dish. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low.
Just fill the baking dish or gratin dishes with the ribs a day ahead, then top them with freshly made. Boneless Short Ribs: for this Shepherd's Pie recipe, I use boneless short ribs BUT you may also substitute it with ground beef – see my variation below. I use beef chuck short ribs which are beautifully marbled, rich, intensely beefy, cut beautifully, are more flavorful than a tenderloin, tender like a NY Strip Steak (but far less $$), and. You can have Short rib shepherd's pie using 24 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Short rib shepherd's pie
- Prepare of Beef ribs.
- It’s 8 of boneless beef short ribs (about 900 g).
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare Handful of fresh thyme sprigs.
- It’s 6 cloves of garlic, unpeeled.
- It’s 1 of medium onion, unpeeled and cut in half.
- It’s 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns.
- Prepare of Potato mash.
- Prepare 8 of medium waxy yellow potatoes, chopped into 2 cm chunks.
- You need 1/4 cup of cream cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of whole milk.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground white pepper.
- Prepare of Finish.
- You need 1 of large onion, chopped.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, diced.
- You need 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1/2 cup of dry red wine.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sweet peas.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sweet corn kernels.
- Prepare 2 cups of beef stock.
- It’s 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
Valentine's Day is over and that means no more chocolate, no more red and pink, no cards, balloons or reservations for two at a fancy dinner. It's back to normalcy as we start to prepare for Easter season. Salt and pepper your short ribs. Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan set over medium heat.
Short rib shepherd's pie instructions
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and sear them a few at a time in the pot, until they're evenly browned on all sides. Put all the ribs in the pot, along with the bay, thyme, garlic, onion and peppercorns. Add enough cold water so the meat's submerged about 2 cm below the surface. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 2 hours. Remove the meat and set aside..
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of cold water. Add a good pinch of salt and turn the heat up to high. Let boil until the potatoes are fork tender..
- Drain the potatoes well and put them back in the pot. Add the cream cheese, milk, salt and white pepper. Mash the potatoes until no large chunks remain. You can also run the potatoes through a sieve if you want them extra silky Use a wooden spoon and stir the mash just until it's uniform. Don't overstir or it'll become gluey. If needed, add extra milk a splash at a time. The potatoes should be just slightly on the dry side. Check the seasoning and add extra salt and white pepper as needed.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Add a splash of veg oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots and thyme and fry another 2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and wine and let simmer until the liquid's absorbed, about 2 minutes..
- Using a pair of forks, shred the beef into bite-sized chunks. Add the beef to the pan along with the peas and corn and toss to combine. Add the beef stock. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry. Add it to the pan and stir until the sauce thickens..
- Pour the beef into a high-sided 20 cm x 30 cm baking tray. Give the tray a good rap against the counter to distribute the meat evenly. Add the potatoes and use a spatula to smooth it over the beef. Put the tray uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn up to high broil and bake an additional 2 minutes, or until the edges crisp and the top turns lightly golden..
- Remove the tray from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with freshly grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan both work) or, my preference, a sprinkle of sweet smoky paprika..
Add the short ribs and sear all sides of the short ribs. They don't have to be cooked all the way through—you just want them nicely browned. Place the seared short ribs, celery, onions and carrots in the slow cooker. Cover with red wine and beef stock. Braised Short Rib Shepherd's Pie with Guinness Gravy is a many step meal that is so worth it in the end.