Red Braised Chicken Thighs. This easy braised chicken thighs recipe will deliver all the comfort, but with little work! Perfectly seasoned with a Mediterranean rosemary spice mixture, then cooked in a flavorful sauce with red wine, shallots, and mushrooms. Dried figs or apricots add a hint of sweetness, but not at all overwhelming.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below. Any bone-in chicken pieces can be used. I suggest drumsticks or chicken legs for the most flavor. You can have Red Braised Chicken Thighs using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Red Braised Chicken Thighs
- You need 1/2 kg of chicken thigh, cut into bite size pieces.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 3 slices of ginger.
- It’s 1/2 cup of shaoxing wine.
- It’s 4 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 2 of star anise.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of dried chilli flakes or 1-2 dried chillies (optional).
HOW TO STORE BEER BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet over high heat, heat oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place raisins in a small bowl; cover with hot water.
Red Braised Chicken Thighs step by step
- In a wok or frying pan, heat oil under low heat. Add sugar and stir until it melts, being careful not to burn it..
- Add chicken and ginger, raising heat to medium, stirring to cover with sugar..
- Add shaoxing wine, star anise, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, soy sauce, and chilli flakes. Lower heat to medium low and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Rise heat back to medium and let boil, reducing the sauce to half. Serve over steamed rice..
I substitute a large shallot for the red onion; I find that change softens the flavor to advantage. Both chicken and vegetables should definitely be browned; that will make for a darker, richer gravy. Heat a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Place flour in a shallow dish.