Squash and Ham Casserole the simple version. The full instructions are in the recipe card below. My rich, saucy lasagna features winter squash at its finest. The whipped cream topping adds a unique twist to this meatless casserole packed with roasted butternut squash, two kinds of cheese and a host of seasonings.
Some folks wonder what to do with butternut squash beyond the soup bowl. I created a super easy and incredibly yummy recipe, and it uses butternut squash, Yukon Gold potatoes, homemade bread crumbs, chopped parsley, Alfredo sauce and grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Kentucky Southern Squash Casserole is the perfect way to turn those yellow squash into a family friendly side dish. You can have Squash and Ham Casserole the simple version using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Squash and Ham Casserole the simple version
- You need 1-1/2 pound of yellow Crook-necked squash.
- Prepare 4 cups of Ritz crackers crushed.
- You need 1/2 cup of water.
- It’s 2 cup of diced ham.
- You need To taste of salt.
- You need 1/2 stick of butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese topping.
- Prepare 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs topping.
Starring butter crackers and cheese, this recipe perfectly combines it's flavor and texture, and this recipe will soon become a summer staple. Place the rest of the squash into the pie plate and gently press out evenly to cover the ham. Sprinkle remaining cheese on the middle and the squash, leaving the edge to free to look like crust. It's an easy recipe that has been passed down from generation to generation.
Squash and Ham Casserole the simple version step by step
- Dice the ham add to a pot and cook. Let the fat render a bit..
- Slice the squash. Add to the ham. Add salt and cover. Cook 10 minutes. Stir and add the water..
- Cook the squash till render and falling apart. Allow to cool 30 minutes..
- Take the crackers and crush. Add the liquids of the squash, along with the squash and ham. Add the butter and mix well..
- Mix in the cheese. Add to a dish to bake in. Shake it to get even. Add cheese and breadcrumbs on top and put into oven for 45 minutes, till topping is cooked, and casserole is bubbly..
- Let rest 12 minutes before serving. I hope you enjoy!!!.
It pleases – ahem, wows – a crowd. This is the type of recipe that demands doubling or even tripling. Squash casserole is pure comfort food. Yellow squash can obviously grow to a wide range of sizes; however, so I always recommend weighing or measuring your squash before assembling the casserole. In a medium bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and cheese.