Tuna noodle casserole. Simple ingredients, great flavors to please everybody and an unforgettable taste. Explore one of our recipes to try tonight! Families are sure to love the creamy texture and comforting taste of this traditional tuna casserole that goes together in a jiffy.
Add the noodles, peas, tuna and pimientos; mix well. The flavor seems to come primarily from fat and salt. To reduce the fat and sodium content, use low fat, low sodium soup. You can have Tuna noodle casserole using 18 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tuna noodle casserole
- It’s 12 oz of pkg egg noodles.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 of med diced white onion.
- It’s 2 stalks of diced celery.
- Prepare 3 cloves of minced garlic.
- You need 1-1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 8 oz of sliced mushroom.
- You need 5 Tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 1/3 Cup of flour.
- It’s 3 Cups of milk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1-1/2 Cup of frozen peas.
- You need 3 (5 oz) of cans tuna, drained.
- It’s 1-1/2 Cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of unsalted butter, melted.
- It’s 4 Tbsp of bread crumbs.
- You need of Cooking spray.
Mix the cream of chicken, mayonnaise and milk together in a large bowl. Add the diced celery and onion. Fold in the tuna, followed by the cooked egg noodles and shredded cheddar cheese. Tuna casserole, the quintessential American dish.
Tuna noodle casserole instructions
- Preheat oven to 375..
- Boil egg noodles in a large pot of salted water until al dente, about 8-10 mins. Drain..
- Put olive oil in a skillet over med heat. Stir in onion, celery, garlic & red pepper flake. Cook 5 mins..
- Turn to med-hi. Add mushrooms and cook additional 5 mins..
- In large saucepan, melt 5 Tblsp butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and cook until thickened. Add salt and pepper..
- Stir peas, tuna, vegetable mixture with noodles in the large pot. Add milk mixture..
- Stir in cheese..
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray and transfer mixture from saucepan..
- In a small bowl, melt 2 Tblsp butter. Mix in bread crumbs until moistened. Sprinkle over top casserole..
- Bake approximately 20 minutes..
Made with canned tuna, mushrooms, peas and noodles in a creamy sauce (and no canned soup) finished with toasted breadcrumbs – so good! This Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole is a comforting and reliable classic dish perfect for a busy weeknight and budget friendly! This tuna noodle casserole is leaps and bounds tastier than any old memories you have of tuna casserole. Rather than a canned "cream of soup" we make a really simple white sauce from scratch with just flour, butter, chicken broth and milk. Peas, celery and onion are sautéed to give the tuna casserole a boost of flavor as well.