Creamy Tuna Casserole/peas & carrots. Creamy Tuna-Noodle Casserole Tips What can I substitute for peas in this recipe? If peas aren't a favorite, you can substitute a cup of frozen mixed vegetables or frozen chopped broccoli for this healthy tuna recipe. If you have leftover frozen veggies, use them up in these frozen mixed veggie recipes or these frozen broccoli recipes.
Or substitute with broccoli or mushrooms, whatever vegetable you want! This delicious Recipe was also featured on Tasty!. This Tuna Casserole will always remain creamy and Yummy. You can have Creamy Tuna Casserole/peas & carrots using 12 ingredients and 22 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Creamy Tuna Casserole/peas & carrots
- Prepare 1 can of cream of mushroom.
- It’s 1 can of cream of celery.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of evaporated milk.
- Prepare 2 cup of frozen peas/carrots.
- You need 3 can of albcore tuna.
- It’s 2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 1 cup of mild cheddar cheese.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs.
- It’s 16 oz of package large wide egg noodles.
- It’s 1 can of spray oil.
- It’s 1 tbsp of dried minced onion.
- It’s 1 tbsp of lemon pepper spice.
Combine noodles, tuna, peas, mushrooms and remaining milk in large bowl. Add cream cheese mixture; mix lightly. Creamed tuna is pure comfort food. Canned tuna and cooked peas are mixed with a homemade white sauce, creating a luscious texture and rich flavor.
Creamy Tuna Casserole/peas & carrots step by step
- preheat oven to 350°F.
- drain tuna.
- put tuna in bowl and chop till small.
- add lemon pepper spice and mix well.
- while tuna sits with spice bring water to boil on stove with a big pan.
- when water is boiling put noodles in pan for 7 minutes al dente.
- go back to tuna and mix again, tuna smell should be gone.
- in a second bowl add cream of mushroom, celery and evaporated milk and mix with whisk.
- add minced onion and mix well.
- put tuna into liquid mixture and mix well.
- put peas and carrots into mixture and mix again.
- check noodles they should be done and drain thoroughly.
- spray large pan or Pyrex with spray oil heavily.
- put noodles in pan and spread evenly, add about a half cup water to the pan.
- spread mixture on top of noodles evenly (like frosting).
- put mild cheddar cheese on top.
- put bread crumbs on top.
- spray with spray oil the bread crumbs/cheese mixture.
- put in oven uncovered for 40 minutes.
- use a loose fitting foil at end of baking to have a less hard topping.
- cook more or less depending on oven.
- let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
The creamy tuna mixture is fabulous on top of split buttered biscuits or toast points or served it in baked puff pastry shells. It's great spooned over rice or noodles as well. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Stir the bread crumbs and butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture.